Marilyn Monroe. The name that evokes a thousand images, and forever links the concept Blonde to the idea of Super-Sexy.
Text Julie Nordtømme
Illustration Jenny Jordahl
Why is she a Badass Blonde?
– She was business savvy, turning her modelling carreer into a movie deal with 20th Century Fox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Monroe#Career
– The woman had no shame!
Nobody else could make an audience go batshit crazy over the song “Happy Birthday to you”.
– Going from white trash to Hollywood darling at her own initiative. Her mom had mental issues and Marilyn never knew her father (Daddy Issues ahoy), periodically growing up in foster homes and orphanages. She started singing for soldiers and modelling, and signed with 20th Century Fox – even though her husband let her know she’d divorce her for it. Hollywood over bros!
– If you haven’t seen Some Like it Hot and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, you are a silly Marilyn philistine and I will have nothing to do with you, sir.
– Both stylin’ and clever. ““In Hollywood a girl’s virtue is much less important than her hairdo,” she said. “You’re judged by how you look, not by what you are. Hollywood’s a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss, and 50 cents for your soul. I know because I turned down the first offer and held out for the 50.” Have a look: http://www.vogue.co.uk/spy/celebrity-photos/2011/11/09/marilyn-monroe-style-file
– Because she could pull off these glasses. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2744948736/tt0045891?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_pbl_8
Seriously, nobody should be able to look good in those. Envy! How to Marry a Millionaire is a pretty funny film. There are no car chases and explosions, but you should watch it anyway, for Marilyn’s excellent comic relief.
-First ever Playboy Playmate of the Month, becoming an international sex symbol quicker than you could say “bare buttocks”. Marilyn was, and still is, one of the biggest icons of female sexual power, building a carreer on her looks and maintaining it through her acting skills. Also, dayum. Don’t click on the link if you’re at work. Your boss will think you’re watching porn. Which, technically, you would be. So be warned. http://coed.com/2011/01/01/playboy-playmate-marilyn-monroe-gallery/